AIE Community Day
Join AIE and friends for a day of professional learning, creativity, and connection!
October 15 | 12:30 - 4:00 PM | Zoom
The Artists in Education Residency Grant Program is pleased to invite you to a virtual community day. Join AIE and friends for an introduction to incredible arts education opportunities throughout the state. Learn about AIE, the Arts Professional Learning Institute (APLI), Poetry Out Loud, mindALIGNED, Scholastic Art Awards, and more. Meet staff, learn about requirements, and create alongside a leading AIE teaching artist for this free, half-day event. Attendees receive documentation for professional development hours as recommended by the New Jersey Department of Education.
Schedule of Events
- 12:30 - 1:00 | Welcome and Activity with AIE Teaching Artist, Colby Cedar Smith
- 1:00 - 1:30 | mindALIGNED with Count Basie Center for the Arts
- mindALIGNED is a collective impact initiative focused creating arts-engaged schools and communities by providing teachers with professional development and support in creative teaching, arts experiences for students through community partnerships, and supporting the fine arts learning happening in schools. An instruction-based approach, creative teaching strategies use techniques drawn from the arts to teach across content areas and curricula. mindALIGNED is a modern approach whose techniques span across disciplines, brightening the classroom from lesson to lesson, pupil to pupil.
- 1:30 - 2:00 | Scholastic Art Awards with Appel Farm Arts & Music Campus
- The Scholastic Art Awards is open to young artists in grades 7–12. Students from Middlesex, Monmouth, Mercer, Somerset, Hunterdon, Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, Ocean, and Salem Counties in New Jersey may participate in the South Jersey Art Region through Appel Farm Arts and Music Campus. Students can enter works in more than 15 visual arts categories and graduating seniors may also enter their portfolios for adjudication.
- 2:00 - 2:15 | Break
- 2:15 - 2:45 | Arts Professional Learning Institute (APLI)
- The Arts Professional Learning Institute’s mission is to provide professional learning opportunities to New Jersey’s teaching artists, classroom educators, and school administrators. APLI aims to engage the arts educator in inclusive, progressive, arts-based professional learning experiences so that the whole student can be reached. APLI’s unique design pairs teaching artists and school educators around the state in exclusive, innovative, and important content, led by the state’s arts educational leaders.
- 2:45 - 3:15 | Poetry Out Loud
- Poetry Out Loud is a national poetry recitation program sponsored by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation, and is implemented in New Jersey by the State Arts Council, our main partner Newark Symphony Hall, and a network of regional partners across the state. Poetry Out Loud encourages the nation’s youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance all while gaining public speaking skills, building self-confidence, and learning about their literary heritage. All New Jersey public, charter, private and parochial high schools and New Jersey home school associations are invited to participate. Poetry Out Loud can be facilitated in school classrooms, after-school programs, through community organizations, and libraries by a teacher, teaching artist, or program facilitator.
- 3:15 - 3:45 | Artists in Education Residency Grant Program
- An Artists in Education (AIE) grant places professional teaching artists in your classroom for a long-term (20-day minimum) residency. Residencies are customized for any grade level or arts discipline (performing, visual, literary). AIE grants provide professional development for your administration and staff, a culminating event to engage the school and its community, and a reflection day for students to reflect on their achievements.
- 3:45 - 4:00 | Closing