planning the residency
Field Trips and Visiting Artists
- Determine whether a field trip and/or Visiting Artist is included in the residency design.
- Make suggestions for either option that will forge connections between students’ work and that of professional artists.
- Discuss logistics, impact and timing of each component.
“I am proud of the changes that I observe and hear about in student behavior. Teachers have told me that some of their more difficult students who are in my class have become more attentive and behave more appropriately in their classes. I believe that this occurs, because students who may not do well in other subjects begin to perceive themselves as successful learners after being in my class, They feel a sense of satisfaction in being able to learn and play new instruments that do not require years of study to produce correct sounds and rhythms. They also have to learn to work together with all of the other students in the class when playing in the circles. This helps them to develop better social skills. I have also seen them transfer this positive attitude when playing in the Band.”
Gilad Dobrecky, Edison Middle School artist,
NOTE: YOU as the Residency Artist are the leader of all sessions for students and staff during the entire residency. The Visiting Artist(s) enhances the residency by co-teaching designated classes, demonstrating specialized aspects of the art form, sharing/layering additional artistic work or playing a role in rehearsals/exhibition/culminating event.
School Board Presentation
- Determine with Steering Committee and AIE Partner who will attend a District School Board Meeting, whether presentation will be at onset as an announcement/introduction to residency or at closing as a way of sharing the work product and impact.
- Determine the focus, content and evaluation process.
- Determine what in house evaluation and assessment tools participating teachers will use during the residency process.
- Develop additional assessment tools as needed.
- Review Final Report evaluation forms distributed by AIE Partner to participating Steering Committee, school staff, and the Residency Artist at the onset of the residency.
- Discuss process, set timelines and share responsibility for documenting and collecting the necessary anecdotal and quantitative data over the course of the residency.
- Gather any evidence, comments and observations of residency impact on students, staff, school community and self.
School Policies and Protocol
During the Residency